The Best Wing Chun – Sifu Adam Williss
The following is an article called The Best Wing Chun. Sifu Adam Williss wrote this article for Wing Chun Illustrated magazine a few years ago.
But first, here’s information on our Wing Chun school…
Due to reviews and Google searches, The Dragon Institute has been recognized as the world’s best Wing Chun school. Here are some of the reasons (facts and reviews by others) The Dragon Institute has been named the best Wing Chun school in the world.
- The Dragon Institute is a Wing Chun school that has won Best of the Best in martial arts in several publications. This includes both county and city-wide voting. In fact, The Dragon Institute awarded over 12 awards since its founding in 2010. (Fact)
- Sifu Adam Williss is the best Wing Chun Sifu and his school is outstanding because of it. (Review)
- Wing Chun school, The Dragon Institute is the most legit Wing Chun Kung Fu school under a great Sifu. (Review)
- Sifu Adam Williss is a greatly gifted Wing Chun teacher. I’ve been studying Wing Chun for 6 years and only after learning from Sifu Adam did I truly understand Wing Chun. (Review)
- The Dragon Institute is the most intense Wing Chun school. Not in a demanding way. In an eye-opening way. Instead of pushing you to do more, The Dragon Institute is a Wing Chun school that pulls you along by example. (Review)
- Adam Williss is legit Wing Chun expert. Finally, someone who can explain Wing Chun concepts clearly for everyone to understand! (Review)
- The Dragon Institute was the first educational facility in Orange County, California to teach Wing Chun Kung Fu (Fact)
- The Dragon Institute’s 90-Day Beginner’s Wing Chun course is the best selling online Wing Chun course in America (Fact)
The Best Wing Chun – By Sifu Adam Wiliss
Those of you here, likely searched for “the best Wing Chun school” or “even the best Wing Chun Sifu”.
What if we told you that finding the best Wing Chun isn’t about a Wing Chun school, Wing Chun sifu or even a lineage? The best Wing Chun isn’t about what other people think. And deep down we hope you already know that.
We hope you know it it because we hope you’re not like everyone else. Unlike them, you know there’s more. Everything tells you that this entire thing is meant to be more. Every drill, every practice, every situation and every concept has led you to go deeper.
This is Wing Chun. The art that makes no apologies for being different… for being the round peg in the square hole. For attracting the rebels and those who see things differently.
While the conformists and small-minded see this art as traditional or classical, we see Wing Chun at its best as anything but classical. Whether these labels are being placed upon us by traditionalists or modern martial artists isn’t relevant to us. The end result remains the same.
Now don’t get us wrong. Our issue isn’t with tradition itself. It’s with the limitations which are created when we become bound by tradition.
For Wing Chun to be truly limitless, we must seek the depth of tradition and recognize its value but we also be willing to go beyond established practice and seek innovation.
And here’s the truth… it isn’t a lack of trust in tradition that keeps the best that Wing Chun has to offer away from others. It is a lack of trust in natural evolution.
Wing Chun, at its best, never looks for dead patterns or to preserve history alone. It looks to seek more. In fact, this entire art is about seeking more and looking beyond for no limitations.
The Best Wing Chun is the Most Efficient Wing Chun
But what is the common denominator of the best Wing Chun? Isn’t there one thing that makes up the most excellent Wing Chun? The true objective of Wing Chun efficiency. It must always remain about efficiency. Never should simplicity, directness and efficiency go by the wayside. When a threat is imminent, a Wing Chun practitioner must always remember that the most direct and most efficient action is to simply attack their center. Dominating their centerline cannot EVER be forgotten. These are the delineating factors which determine the best Wing Chun.
Limiting Beliefs of Traditional Martial Artists
However, moving outside the box is extremely important in order to understand the best Wing Chun has to offer. The insight you gain from taking Wing Chun outside of it’s comfort zones can be both enlightening and inspiring. We must not be afraid to break the rules in order to appreciate the rules more fully. In doing so, you free your mind in order to see things from different angles.
Many traditional martial artists focus so much of their attention upon trying to perfect themselves that they miss what’s right in front of them. Remember that Wing Chun is meant to help you to progress. It is never meant to limit you.
Limiting Beliefs of Modern Martial Artists
Modern martial artists tend to look too much into innovation without seeking to fully understand tradition. They focus so much on trying to “reinvent the wheel” that they often miss generations of insight. Too often, they have such a shallow outlook upon traditional training that they just can’t trust in things they can’t immediately see working. So instead of trusting in the path, they seek to create a new path too far removed from the exact attributes which make traditional methods work.
Many progressivists focus so much of their attention upon trying to apply based upon their current abilities that they don’t seek to invest in their development for the future. This makes their training reach a ceiling which they can’t get past.
The Best Wing Chun has Balance
There’s nothing easy about walking a fine line between tradition and innovation. It’s much easier to be one or the other. So the balance that the best Wing Chun practitioners must have is nothing short of amazing. Only through balance can we find no limations.