Safety at College
What does that mean? Well ladies that can mean a lot of things. First, I want to speak about basic safety. When we are younger a lot of us tend to feel a bit for invincible and our attention to our
personal safety is not always there. Sadly this is something we all younger older and in-between
must be aware of always.
Let’s start with college parking lots whether it is dusk, evening or just deserted in the day hours danger can lurk here.
Learning to become more aware is key!!!
What I mean by that is pay attention to your surroundings, look around, you do not need to be scared or paranoid just aware and in the present moment. Know here you are going, know what is
This means , not consumed in your phone with your headphones on and your head down with your eyes glued to your screen.
Guess what that body language tells the dirtbag lurking around waiting for an opportunity? It tells him you are the right pick. You are the one he can catch off guard with her defenses down.
None of us want to be any scum bags victims so lets go over some basic guidelines we can utilize everyday.
- Be in the present moment. When going out. Opening door to room.
- Know your surroundings what is going on who is around?
- What is the time? can you walk with a friend?
- Is there campus security? call for an escort
- Carry non lethal safety devices airhorn, pepper gel, personal alarm, stun device.
- When calling for Uber, wait inside building until Uber arrives have them text you when they arrive, let them know you are waiting indoor until they arrive
- Going to a campus party? Make pact with who you came with that you guys leave together.
- Been drinking? Not the best time to go off with someone new, get a number arrange a more sober meeting at another time.
- Keep your drinks with you. Leaving your drink unattended, leaves it vulnerable to it getting spiked. “YES” that still happens and more often than you may think. Most commonly
known as “Ruffies, roofie” are: dahmer, bill cosby, waterbed, roofie colada, and ruffie.
Rohypnol is a tranquilizer about ten times more potent than Valium. The drug is available as a white or olive-green pill and is usually sold in the manufacturer’s bubble packaging. Users rush the pills and snort the powder, sprinkle it on marijuana and smoke it, dissolve it in a drink or inject it.
Rohypnol has been used to commit sexual assaults because it renders the victim incapable of resisting, giving it the reputation of a “date-rape” drug.
Rohypnol users often describe its effects as “paralyzing.” The effects start twenty to thirty minutes after taking the drug, peak within two hours and may persist for eight or even twelve hours. A person can be so incapacitated (made unable to act) they collapse. They lie on the floor, eyes open, able to observe events but completely unable to move. Afterwards, memory is impaired and they cannot recall any of what happened. The person experiences loss of muscle control, confusion, drowsiness and amnesia.
Rohypnol is sold in Europe and Latin America as a sleeping pill, but it is illegal in the United States. This is why it is a good idea to leave the party with the friends you came with. If that can not happen, call a friend to come get you. Have your friends back and you have theirs. Watch out for each other.
10. When dating someone new, let someone know when you
are going out.